Thursday, January 4, 2007

Healing Prayers

Healing Prayers
Healing PrayersPrayer is an essential tool for healing. New pages were added because we truly believe that people who are ill should also pray themselves, whether at a synagogue or at home. We think that the most effective healing prayers come from those who pray for the sick as well as the sick praying for themselves. We offer a collection of individual prayers, in addition to a modified form of Jewish prayers that are traditionally said three times a day. When you become aware of a member of your community who is ill, share this page of healing prayers with them. It’s never too late to learn how to davven (Yiddish for prayer) effectively. Prayer is our greatest opportunity to connect with spiritual energy, but unfortunately it’s seldom properly taught so that most of us go through life finding prayer unsatisfying.The "Learn more about prayer" link can make prayer more meaningful to you. Many books have been written about Jewish prayer; many synagogues offer adult ed courses on prayer. They generally all emphasize the details of the prayer service—which occasions should certain prayers be recited, which prayers are to be included at appointed times and the biblical sources for a particular prayer. The “how-to” is rarely ever mentioned. Individual Prayers for HealingLearn more about prayerThe Morning PrayerThe Afternoon PrayerThe Evening PrayerA prayer for healingGod, hear my prayer,And let my cry come to You.Do not hide from me in the day of my distressTurn to me and speedily answer my prayer.Eternal God, Source of healing,Out of my distress I call upon You.Help me sense Your presenceAt this difficult time.Grant me patience when the hours are heavy;In hurt or disappointment give me courage.Keep me trustful in Your love.Give me strength for today, and hope for tomorrow.To your loving hands I commit my spiritWhen asleep and when awake. You are with me; I shall not fear.A MeditationEl na refa na lah.Please God, bring healing.A BlessingMi-sheberakh avoteinu v’imoteinu, Avraham v’Sarah, Yitzhak v’Rivkah, Ya’akov, Rachel v’Leah hu y’varekh et (insert names here) v’yavi aleihem refuat hanefesh u’refuat haguf yachad im kol cholei amo Yisrael. Barukh atah Hashem, rofeh ha’cholim.May the One who was a source of blessing for our ancestors, bring blessings of healing upon (insert names here), a healing of body and a healing of spirit. May those in whose care they are entrusted be gifted with wisdom and skill, and those who surround them be gifted with love and trust, openness and support in their care. And may they be healed along with all those who are in need. Blessed are You, Source of healing.A PrayerMi sheberakh avoteinu mekor habrakha l’imoteinuMay the Source of strengthWho blessed the ones before usHelp us find the courageTo make our lives a blessing,And let us say: Amen.Mi sheberakh imoteinu mekor habrakha l’avoteinuBless those in need of healing With refuah shleima:The renewal of body,The renewal of spirit,And let us say: AmenHealing Prayer Every person must be responsible for his fellow man. That burden extends to every facet of life including illness. The Torah obligates us to collectively care for the needy, the orphan, the stranger, the aged and the sick; in other words for all those who cannot provide for themselves. This set of prayers is ideal for private at-home prayer or at a havurah or synagogue healing service.A sick person generally needs the assistance of caregivers, doctors, nurses and family to get well again. They are also in need of spiritual support from the community. We can fulfill this obligation with prayer. We urge that as many people as possible join us daily and pray for a refuah shleimah, a complete recovery for all that are sick and ailing.Imagine all of the people who are sick that could receive God’s healing blessings through your prayer. There is no limit to how often one can pray for himself or for someone else. The purpose of healing prayer is to stand before God who is the ultimate healer, a fact that all healers acknowledge. Searching for meaning or solace in a time of sickness or pain? Here we offer Jewish insights and rituals, both traditional and contemporary, for those in need of healing.Introductory prayer I gratefully thank You, O living and eternal King, for You have returned my soul within me with compassion—abundant is Your faithfulness! Modeh ani l’fanecha, melech chai v’kayam. She’hechezarta bi nishmati b’chemla—raba emunatechaPrayer for the body Blessed are You, our Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, who has made our bodies in wisdom, creating openings, arteries, glands, and organs marvelous in structure, intricate in design. Should but one of them, by being blocked or opened, fail to function, it would be difficult to stand before You. Wondrous Fashioner and Sustainer of life, Source of our health and our strength, we give you thanks and praise.Prayer for the soul My God, the soul which You have placed within me is pure. You have created it, You will one day take it from me and restore it to me in time to come. So long as my soul is within me, I make acknowledgment before You, my God and God of all generations. Blessed are you, God who restores my soul each day that I may once again awaken.A Prayer You are mighty, Lord, who brings healing to the sick, You are great in granting salvation, providing the living with sustenance, with lovingkindness, caring for the sick with great mercies, supporting the fallen, healing the sick, releasing the captive, and keeping faith with those who are lost among the living, Who is like you, Master of mighty acts, and who compares to you, King who restores health, and causes salvation to sprout, You who are faithful, comforting the ill among us, Blessed are You, Lord who heals the sick.Prayer for healing Hear my prayer, O Lord, heed my plea for mercy. In time of trouble I call You, for You will answer me. When pain and illness are my companions, let there be room in my heart for strength. When the days and nights are filled with darkness, let the light of courage find its place. Help me endure the suffering and dissolve the fear; renew within me the calm spirit of trust and peace. Boruch Atah Adonai, Ro-fei HaCholim We praise you, O God, Healer of the SickMi Sheberach May the One who blessed our ancestors, Sarah and Abraham, Rebecca and Isaac, Leah, Rachel and Jacob bless (insert name here) along with all of the ill among us. Grant insight to those who bring healing, courage and faith to those who are sick, love and strength to us and to all who love them. God, let your spirit rest upon all who are ill and comfort them. May they and we soon know a time of complete healing, a healing of the body and a healing of the spirit and let us say: Amen.Concluding prayer May the one who creates harmony above make peace for us and for all Israel, And for all who dwell on earth. And say: Amen.Suggestion: Print this page for your daily healing prayers. New prayers will be added each month.

No comments:

One's belief in God must come through faith and not because of miracles. "Rebbe Nachman of Breslov"