Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Remember who you represent....

Remember who you represent....
The Parshah of Kedoshim begins with the statement:"You shall be holy, for I, the L-rd your G-d, am holy"followed by dozens of mitzvot (Divine commandments) through which the Jew sanctifies him or herself and relates to the holiness of G-d. These include: the prohibition against idolatry, the mitzvah of charity, the principle of equality before the law, Shabbat, sexual morality, honesty in business, honor and awe of one's parents, the sacredness of life.I remember when my daughter entered into her teenage years I would always say to her verytime she left the house as walking to the store or going to the mall or just taking a stroll down the street. It would echo into her mind everytime. Honey Remember who you represent when you go out there. Your behaviour determines what kind of parent I am.It was a lot of stress for a teenager of this day and age. But I look back now and think how is it any different for when I go out. when I take a walk out the door or in my speech or work. What exactly am I telling people about my beloved Abba?What do people thin of us as Jews out there?Do they think that we are a obedient and follow the rules of our Father?Or do we bring him shame with our actions?I cannot say that my daughter has always acted accordingly but I cannot say that I have either.We have a duty to bring pride to our Father. We have a duty to bring respect and honor to Hashem's name Blessed be He. The same respect we expect from our children when they are in the public eye is the same one Hashem expects from us.I am not saying be perfect for we are human. But I am saying be cautious and think before we do or say anything in public because we need to remember who we represent.

No comments:

One's belief in God must come through faith and not because of miracles. "Rebbe Nachman of Breslov"