Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Shema

“And you shall teach them to your children, and you shall talk about them. When you sit in your house and when you go on your way, when you lie down and when you get up.”

I have realized that through the Shema alone stands the idea of homeschooling. I was thinking about maybe sending my children off to a good Jewish school about an hour and a half away becuase I thought to myself they may be better qualified.
As I read the Shema and thought about the words in it and meditated on it. I was only reassured about my decision to homeschool. It doesnt just maen the religious aspects of my childrens life but in every aspect every part of the day.
In their education their child rearing their torah learning. In every thing about their education.
Some people may look at me and think she is off her rocker. But I truly believe that this is the Message Hashem wanted. We have them such a short time. Hopw can we be sure that they are getting the proper teachings?
Yeshiva will be there when they grow up and I am sure they will learn what they need to know but in the mean time I am the teacher and will do my best to teach them when I sit, when I go on my way, when I lie down and when I get up.

1 comment:

Philly Farmgirl said...

Nice post. The ideal thing is to homeschool the boys in their secular studies and to find a Rebbe to teach them thier religous studies.

On the topic of the shema check out this post from Mystical Paths Blog:

http://mysticalpaths.blogspot.com/2007/08/secrets-of-shema.html



http://mysticalpaths.blogspot.com/2007/08/secrets-of-shema.html

One's belief in God must come through faith and not because of miracles. "Rebbe Nachman of Breslov"